I am really in to sewing bags these days. When I searching for bags or reading sewing books, I always wonder how may kind of bags and I should learn how to call or categorize them correctly ok, I think this information from about.com has a part of my answer that if we categorize bags by shape, these are some popular bag shapes.
Choose the Right Bag for Your Body
By Cynthia Nellis, About.com Guide
Some popular shapes:
- Tote – An open-top bag with straps or handles.
- Hobo bag – A crescent-shaped shoulder bag.
- Duffle – Tall shoulder bag, often with a wider opening on top.
- Field bag – A flap-top shoulder bag with utility-type closure (buckles, snaps, etc).
- Clutch – A small, handheld bag or a larger, geometric shape that is tucked under the arm.
- satchel – A large, handheld bag.
- Baguette – Long and rounded shoulder bag resembling the namesake bread.
- Messenger – A large, soft shoulder bag with long straps (often worn across the body).
- Cigar Box – A small, boxy, hard bag.
- Pouch – A soft, small bag.
- Kelly bag – A classic Hermes style named after Grace Kelly; a large, structured handbag with distinctive hardware closures.